Stray Haven is a small, not-for-profit shelter organization serving all of Tioga County, NY and our neighboring counties. We receive no operational funding from the state or county level or other charitable agencies and rely totally on adoptions and our very generous donors to keep our doors open. Stray Haven was founded 50 years ago by a woman named Elaine Forkan, who wanted to provide a shelter for lost and unwanted animals to be taken care of until they found new homes. Our facility began with a donated building in 1967 and with generous donations, we now have an office, small animal clinic and the original kennels which are undergoing updates. Recent donations have allowed us to install a fence around much of the property giving our shelter animals a safe place to exercise. We continue to raise funds to keep our buildings safe and secure for years to come. Today we offer many services, including pet adoptions, spay/neuter programs, dog obedience classes, pet therapy, cruelty investigations and humane education.
We need your help! There are so many ways you can get involved and help Stray Haven Humane Society.
- Volunteer with Shelter Animals: We need Dog Walkers & Cat Cuddlers to help our shelter animals get the exercise and socialization that they need. Volunteers must by 18 years old or accompanied by an adult.
- Donate: Contribute toward a specific animals’ adoption fee, donate money to be used to pay our bills keeping the lights on and kibble in the bowls, or donate items from our Wish List. Gift cards are also great!
- ADOPT: Looking for a new furry friend? Adopt, don’t shop. We have lots of cats and dogs of all ages, sizes and colors ready and waiting to meet you! While you may have a particular age or breed in mind, we encourage you to keep checking back as we often have new arrivals. Puppies and kittens become adult dogs and cats, and adopting a full-grown animal has many benefits.
- Start a Project: We LOVE community projects! From Pet Food Drives to organizing Raffle Drawings or building cat condos, we appreciate all of your hard work and donations!
- Volunteer for Facility & Grounds: Our building and yard takes a lot of work to maintain. The fences that allow our shelter dogs to get free run were graciously donated. We often need replacement washers & dryers or lawn mowers. Our next big projects include Roof Repair and Driveway Resurfacing. Professional services are always greatly appreciated. Do you have a snowblower and like to work outside? When the snow arrives, we will need help keeping the sidewalk clear and making walking paths for the shelter dogs in the yard.
- Participate in Pet Therapy: Have you ever wondered what Pet Therapy is? Bringing shelter animals to local nursing homes and education events helps to bring a smile to the face of those facing difficult times. Shelter animals are ready to give their love, and you will be surprised at how much both animals and people shine from even a short visit.
Come to Stray Haven and experience how giving gives back!
The Alteration Clinic program focuses on helping low income pet owners have their pets spayed or neutered and assisting with Stray Cat needs. Appointments are required and fees vary – please contact us for more details. Use the form below to request an appointment for your pet!