Waverly, NY 14892
Salary: $10.40 to $12.50 /hour
Stray Haven Humane Society & SPCA is seeking an outgoing and energetic individual to join our team as a Humane Officer. This position requires 15-25 hours per week, hours and days dependent on scheduled work days, cruelty reports, court appearances and other duties related to cruelty cases as directed by the supervisor. The person hired in this role enforces NY state laws concerning the care, use, treatment, selling, licensing and impounding of animals in Tioga County, NY. Officers conduct confidential investigations and inspections; issue citations and warnings; testify in court; collect evidence and prepare and maintain a variety of reports and written logs and forms. Officers communicate and interact with the public about a broad range of relevant animal regulations and humane animal care and provide educational materials as needed. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds and skills related to animal body language, and safe restraint and capture. Law enforcement or animal welfare experience preferred. Certified Peace Officers preferred. Applicant must be a resident of Tioga County, NY.
The successful candidate will have:
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least one year of related experience or animal-related training required. Law enforcement and/or military background preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated animal health and well-being knowledge, skills and abilities to include: general care of domestic animals, knowledge of animal and zoonotic diseases, ability to determine/estimate breeds and species, sex and age. Ability to recognize signs of animal neglect, abuse and cruelty.
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques, principles and practices. Knowledge of local and state animal laws and of court procedures.
- Skill in animal capture and restraint methods, the ability to work in direct contact with aggressive and injured animals, and the ability to interpret animal body language.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; the ability to effectively utilize basic word processing software and willingness to learn Shelter Manager software for humane investigation reporting, the ability to relay information to the public in a concise and clear manner; basic math skills; ability to take and manage photographic evidence, the ability to apply state cruelty laws; and the ability to prioritize duties within a busy work environment.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other Stray Haven employees, as well as various community professionals.