Waverly, NY 14892
Background: Stray Havenis a no-kill, 501C-3 charitable organization and the only animal shelter serving Tioga County, NY. We have been in operation for 52 years and currently take in approximately 400 animals per year, mostly dogs and cats. We have a staff of 10-12 dedicated individuals and are governed by a Board of Directors, with 8 current members.
In 2018 Stray Haven began using Quickbooks to manage our finances, whereby prior to that, a series of volunteers and/or Board members maintained records manually using ledgers. We are currently looking for a bookkeeper with advanced skills using Quickbooks, to help with record keeping and transactions, including accounts payable and receivable. This is a volunteer position, but we hope in the future to transition to a paid position within the organization.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Bookkeeper maintains all necessary and appropriate records, files and processes to ensure the smooth and compliant financial operation of the organization, focusing on accuracy and transparency. Current transactions include accounts payable, receivable and general ledger. The ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge with QuickBooks and experience working with nonprofits. Weekly time commitment: Approx 8 hours.
· Maintain all financial transaction records in Quickbooks Online on a weekly basis.
· Reconcile bank, investment, Square and PayPal accounts monthly, and maintain file of bank statements.
· Reconciles bank accounts and provides monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, budget vs. actual reports and grant-specific financial reports to the Executive Director and Board President.
· Ensures that all expenditures are appropriately categorized to accommodate year end reports.
· Transfer funds with approval between SHHS accounts as necessary.
· Alerts the Executive Director to past-due accounts and potential account issues in a timely manner.
· Assists in the development and implementation of systems and procedures as needed.
· Prepare the IRS Form 990 for review by a CPA and provide them with needed information for that purpose.
· Perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
· Coordinate with outside CPA in preparation of year-end audit.
· Support Executive Director in development and analysis of annual organization budget.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills, communicate clearly and maintain confidentiality.
· Strong mathematical skills.
· Solid knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
· Advanced proficiency in Quickbooks.
· Excellent computer skills, including competence in standard accounting software (Quickbooks preferred), email and Excel.
· Be detail-oriented and accurate.
· Possess good communication skills and the ability to multitask.
· Be discrete and understand matters of confidentiality.
· Nonprofit experience a plus.
Compensation: This is a volunteer position, but we hope in the future to transition to a paid position within the organization.